Understanding the Role of the Registered Practical Nurse
Registered Practical Nurses (RPN) work in a variety of settings and are valued members of the health care team. Understanding the role of the RPN within a chosen specialty will provide students with an introductory understanding of the RPN scope of practice and role clarity.
Aims of the Paper:
· To explain and discuss the concept of scope of practice.
· To explore the role of the RPN
· in a chosen specialty.
· To discuss the concept of client centered care and how it is applied in the chosen specialty.
· To develop scholarly writing skills.
· Be written in APA format 7th edition with citations and references according to APA @ Conestoga
· Be no more than 3 pages (not including title page or references). The paper will not be marked beyond the paper limits.
· Have a title page, headers and page numbers
· Paper should have an introduction and conclusion
· Be in Ariel 12 font, double-spaced
· Submitted electronically on the course shell.
· Turn-it-in enabled on shell.
· Explain the term scope of practice and the importance of understanding your scope of practice as a Registered Practical Nurse.
· Explore ONE of the listed specialties where RPN’s practice.
· Palliative care, Medicine, Peri-Operative, Geriatrics, Primary Care, Mental health, Maternal Child, Pediatric, Community Care (Homecare), Public Health.
· Describe the role of the RPN in the specialty related practice setting.
· What nursing services do RPN’s provide in this setting?
· What specific skills are unique to this practice area?
· Discuss the knowledge required for this RPN role, consider:
· continuing education
· additional training
· Define patient centered care within the context of the practice setting. Using an example discuss how patient centered care is enacted in the practice setting.
· See Student Handbook for regulations regarding late assignments.
· Look closely at the rubric so you know how you are being evaluated.
· Use reliable references, this may mean doing some research to ensure what you are putting in your paper is accurate.
· Use Canadian references when you can. A lot of information from other jurisdictions/countries will not apply to nursing in Canada.
· Check each citation / reference to ensure it is APA.
· When using in-text quotations ensure you add your own thoughts and ideas related to the quotation.