Essay Prompt – Part I
Texas Politics Personal Responsibility Essay
You are a Texas Senator on a three-person Senate Committee on Education. The committee has been given an extra $2 million by the Comptroller of Public
Accounts who shows that there has been a significant increase in tax revenue in the state. The money will go toward college scholar- ships in public
universities. The committee’s job is to decide on proper allocation of the funds and make a recommendation to the full Senate.
Senator Rawls represents an economically challenged portion of urban Dallas. Senator Rawls grew up in this neighborhood and expresses that poor people
are the individuals most in need, and that all extra resources should go to those most in need. Senator Rawls recommends that all scholarships be need
based. Senator Bentham represents and was raised in an upper-middle class portion of Houston. Senator Bentham says the money should go to the
students who are excellent high school students who want to major in STEM fields. Senator Bentham says the investment will produce an overall healthier
society, and that ability to succeed in college in an important field is more important that being in personal need, because the investment is more likely to
produce more overall good in things like medical procedures, drugs, and infrastructure.
You are the third and deciding vote. In a full-sentence, grammatically correct essay, explain the following in the order outlined by the numbers below.
1. What is your decision on how to distribute the money?
2. Rawls (give to those most in need) and Bentham (give to those who will give the most back) explain their basis of decision making in justifying their
decision. Explain the basis of your decision. Justify your decision. What will this mean in future decisions that you make as a legislator? What are the pros
and cons of your decision-making process?
3. What general experiences in your life caused you to have the core beliefs to make the deci- sion?
Essay Prompt – Part II
Texas Politics Social Responsibility Essay
In your own words, answer the following questions.
1. Why is it important to vote?
2. Why is it important to be well informed on civic issues?
3. Considering your previous answers, what is your responsibility to your community when it comes to voting and being informed on civic issues?