Sustainability & Creative Activism – Waste Land Assignment
This assignment requires you to write a short essay of 2 full pages (double-spaced) in
response to the documentary film, Waste Land. The film is available on these two
Within the essay, please consider and answer the following questions:
• Is art an effective medium for bringing about environmental awareness? In
what ways can art be effective to address social and environmental justice
• What are some of the potential challenges or limitations of art interventions?
• What other examples can you give of art that was made to raise awareness
about an environmental issue or social injustice? Are there any such examples
in your own community?
WRITING THE PAPER
Organize your paper with an introduction, a main body, and a conclusion.
1. Introduction: State general factual information from the film.
2. Analysis: Discuss thoughts in response to the questions. You should
discuss Vik Muniz’s project within its social-cultural, political, and
environmental context, and how everything relates to the realities of
waste, environmental degradation, sustainability, and social justice.
3. Conclusion: In your final paragraph summarizing what you have
learned and give some of your own thoughts, reflections, and
Format and Style
§ Two full pages, Times New Roman font ONLY, double-spaced, 12-
point size, 1-inch margins.
§ MLA or Chicago Manual style for references.
§ Bibliography (not included in the word count requirement).