Instructions: Watch one of the movies listed below and discuss the main characters and/or plot line in terms of psychological disorders and/or treatment. (Some of the movies portray several characters struggling with a disorder; you need to focus only on the one or two that most interests you.)
Address the following questions:
1. What specific psychological disorder was illustrated in this film? What are the symptoms for this disorder? (Be sure to cite your source for this information on an attached citation sheet.) Did the person meet the criteria for “abnormal” in this portrayal? How?
2. Using the symptoms given in Q#1, how did the film demonstrate these symptoms? After considering typical symptoms and behaviors for this disorder, determine the extent to which you believe this was a realistic portrayal of this disorder. Why or why not?
3. Were any causal factors for the character’s disorder suggested in the film? If so, which ones? If none were identified or could be inferred, how did his psychological disorder change when under stress?
4. What types of treatment, if any, did the person in the film receive? Provide specific examples. Based on class discussions, textbook or other cited resources, is this form typical for individuals with this disorder? Why or why not?
5. What impact did the person’s disorder have on others in his/her life? Do you think the impact was realistically portrayed? Why or why not?
6. After viewing the movie, what do you think it would be like to live with this mental illness?
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
7. What was your overall reaction to the movie and how mental illness was portrayed?