COM 110: Group Project
Student Learning Outcomes:
To analyze communication behaviors, concepts, and appropriate communication techniques in a variety of communication contexts
To assess appropriate decision-making methods and problem-solving strategies to achieve a group’s common goals
• You will be using Microsoft Teams to communicate with your group members, which will be assigned in the coming days.
• You and your group will choose one chapter in our textbook that has been helpful to improving the relationships around you. You may choose from these chapters: 1-4 or 7-10. You may not choose chapters 5-6 or 11-14.
• After you and your group have identified which chapter you will find three short film clips or videos (amateur or professional) from YouTube that illustrate one or more concepts from that chapter. The films clips/videos should be short- less than 5 minutes in length and be appropriate in content. In other words, they should have content that would be appropriate to show in a classroom and workplace setting. At least one of the three videos should be closed captioned.
• You should create a word document that shows me which chapter you chose, which concept or concepts you chose, includes working hyperlinks to the short film clips or videos, and explanations/discussions below each link connecting the clip to the concept. These explanations/discussions should be several paragraphs in length.
• Your group should be “signing off” on each part of the decision making and proofing process. Each group produces only ONE paper, and it must be team-written, meaning I SHOULD NOT be able to even tell who wrote which section. Only one paper should be submitted per group.
• TNR font, MLA heading, MLA margins required. See Rubric.
Peer Evaluations (10 pts)
Each group member will evaluate their fellow group members based on level of participation, contribution, and overall success of the team.
Peer evaluations will factor in to each group member’s project grade.
Peer evaluations are confidential and will not be shared – no exceptions.
Failure to submit the peer evaluation correctly/on time (-10 pts for the individual).
With the exception of the Peer Evaluations, it is expected that all group members work on this project together and equally. If a particular group member is not cooperating, team members should first reach out to that individual to try to resolve the issue within the group. If the problem continues, you should inform your instructor immediately. Group members who do not actively contribute to the project will receive a 0 for this assignment.
COM 110: Group Project Rubric
Table 1 Group Project Scoring Rubric
Criteria Points Possible Points Earned
Chapter chosen and included in a word document with all Group Members Names Listed
1st Working Link to a Short Video Illustrating an identified Communication Concept
Explanation of the Connection between Video #1 and Concept
2nd Working Link to a Short Video Illustrating an identified Communication Concept
Explanation of the Connection between Video #2 and Concept
3rd Working Link to a Short Video Illustrating an identified Communication Concept
Explanation of the Connection between Video #3 and Concept
Peer Evaluations (collected and tallied by instructor)
Total Points 100
Deductions (see below Penalties)
Table 2 Penalties
Penalty Possible Number of Points Deducted Penalty Points Applied
Incorrect formatting (MLA, Header, Times New Roman, 12-pt font, 1-inch margins, double-spaced) Up to 10 pts
Paper is not written as a single, group effort. Sections may be labeled inappropriately reflecting individual authors. First person pronouns may be used. Up to 10 pts
Typos/grammatical errors/one video should be closed captioned Up to 10 pts
Failure to submit Peer Evaluation correctly/on time 10 pts