1. Describe and Explain the Issue.
Pick a social issue that your group would like to explore further through the semester.
(Racial Inequality) More primarily Asians
Pick a specific company or industry, that is affected by this social issue.
• Movie industry: Lack of Minorities (Asian) actors in Hollywood and Academy Awards (Oscars)
2. Explain why the issue is important.
Provide a convincing argument as to why this is an issue that is well-suited for your consultancy skills.
There should be a more diverse cast in the nominations in the oscars. Rather than basing it of their skin color, they should be judged in their skills as an actor
a) Utilize the Means of Persuasion:
(Daniel)Ethos: Credibility. Provide an argument that is well-constructed, supported by facts and professionally written.
o Hollywood chooses to pick white actors for Asian roles versus actual talented asian actors.
o Dragonball live action movie
o Ghost in the Shell (Johanson)
o Last Airbender live action movie
• Good idea to pick asian for films
o Crazy rich asians
o Parasite ( Won 4 oscar in 2020 and nominated for 6)
o Train to Busan
(Justin) Pathos: Emotion, appealing to values. Explain why
• Racism is bad
• Think of the children, they need a role model that identifies via race?
(Kim)Logos: Logical reasoning. Carefully explain why change is needed to address this issue.
• Affects the views of people watching media
o Asian actors are typecast into stereotypical roles in film
Side kick, nerd, villain
• That’s how they are in real life
(Co)Kairos: Urgency. Why is this issue important now?
• Rise of black lives matter (Minority)
• Racial Injustice
Here’s another description for the means of persuasion.
b) Stakeholder Analysis: detailed questions are available in the slides on Stakeholder analysis. (also in Session 1’s slide set).
1. Who are the relevant stakeholders?
• Foreign market (Chinese market [Untapped market]) Chinese Government
• Movie Theatre
• Actors (Social Media)
2. What are the interests of each stakeholder?
• Make Money
• Win academy awards
• Break box office records
• Get good reputation
3. What is the power of each stakeholder?
• Consumers – They can choose to either go to the movies or not
• Chinese Government – They regulate the movies allowed in China which is an untapped market so they want it in their good sides.
• Sponsors – They’re the people funding it, if they are not happy they’ll pull out of the movie and take their money
• Shareholder – Voice in the company on how they do or choose what to do
• Movie theaters – Low salience however they the ability to pull the movie or not
• Actors (social media) – Actors are able to use their following to make the movie a success or not
4. How are coalitions likely to form?
• Chinese Government – The production industry will try to make it more Chinese friendly?
c) Ethical Theory: Explain which ethical theories will be used to analyze the issue at hand. Explain each theory used in illustrative detail. Descriptions of each theory are available in the slides on the Business Ethics session.
o Aligns with good characters
o Directors should have a good sense of virtue ethics
Meaning that they should pick people based on their talents and the role that they should be doing.
Respect the source material