POLICY PRIORITY ISSUE GUIDELINES
Please note: Write essay as first person
1. Provide an introduction to your healthcare policy-priority issue and the title or name of your legislator.
· State I live in – New Jersey
· Policy Issue- ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMIANTION
· Senator Bob Smith (D)
· Committees & Titles: Chair, Environment and Energy, & Joint Legislative Taskforce on Drinking Water Infrastructure
2. Articulate key points:
Ø Describe a public-health policy issue with which you have personal and/or professional experience, and about which you are interested, familiar, and passionate. Why is this issue of particular interest/importance to you and to the profession of nursing? Examples of policy issues include
Ø What is the specific problem, including background, surrounding this issue? Is there a need for a new law or campaign related to this issue? Is there a need for change to an existing law? Is there need for a change in regulatory issues? What specific supportive evidence do you have for this issue, including evidence and references? You will need to include this in your message/ask/recommendation(s).
Ø Review thoughts regarding your chosen healthcare policy issue. It is important to analyze your issue thoroughly. Be sure you address the following with evidence and research:
• Evaluation of options
• Recommended solutions (be very specific here; recommend a policy solution that a policymaker or legislator can actually do something about).
Ø How can you find out the current status of this issue? Is there a website (professional organization such as the American Nurses Association or local, state, or federal government) that provides status updates or alerts? Please describe.
Ø What level(s) of government does your issue involve (local, state, federal)? What level of government is your immediate target? Please describe.
Ø Who is the legislator you will contact? Be specific with name or job title.
3. Provide an analysis of empirical evidence that supports your chosen healthcare policy-priority issue and analysis.
4. Demonstrate the importance and impact of the chosen healthcare policy-priority issue to nursing.
5. Provide concluding statements summarizing the content.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;