Informatics and Quality Improvement
Health Information Technology/Trend Paper
Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to provide students the opportunity to investigate a healthcare informatics technology trend/new technology and analyze its impact on patient care and/or nursing practice.
Process: Review the literature on new technologies or trends in healthcare informatics technology. Choose a topic that your group has identified through your own search or pick one of those listed below. Ideally it will be relevant to your group’s clinical area or patient population. Check with your designated faculty member for approval of your topic. Thoroughly investigate the technology/trend.
Our Topic: Precision Medicine and the fight against cancer
Content: Write a paper (8 to 10 pages) that analyzes the chosen technology or trend and its impact on:
1. Introduction/edit & put together EDDIE
2. Nursing knowledge and/or practice Fernando Medina
3. Access to care Shelly
4. Patient safety (e.g. improvement of care through limiting errors, etc.) Dulce
5. Quality of care (e.g. how is it better than what is being done or used currently): Kaitlin
6. Conclusion/edit & put together/submit for group
Consider cost, ease of use, interoperability, availability, education/training needs of staff and/or patients, potential ethical issues, potential privacy issues, regulatory issues.