Time Allocated: Approximately 8 weeks will be allocated for this task. Students will be given some lessons of class time in which to prepare their compositions, but students will be expected to do the majority of the work at home.
Length Year 11 – a minimum of 16 bars or 30 seconds in length.
Year 12 – a minimum of 32 bars or 1 minute in length.
Assessment Type Year 11 – Formative
Year 12 – Summative
Teacher Input Feedback will be provided to you during class preparation time.
Conditions This assignment sheet is to be attached to your final assignment. All rough drafts are to be included as an appendix.
Common Curriculum Elements:
|1||Recognising letters, words and other symbols|
|3||Recalling / remembering|
|4||Interpreting the meaning of words or other symbols|
|7||Translating from one form to another|
|9||Using correct spelling, punctuation, grammar|
|10||Using vocabulary appropriate to context|
|13||Recording / noting data – identifying information and accurately classifying|
|20||Setting out / presenting / arranging / displaying|
|26||Explaining to others|
|36||Applying strategies to trail and test ideas and procedures|
|46||Creating / composing / devising|
|57||Manipulating / operating / using equipment|
In your composition you should aim to:
- Demonstrate manipulation of the elements of music through the use of compositional techniques discussed in class.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of melodic, rhythmic and harmonic characteristics.
- Write within the technical capabilities of the instruments.
- Demonstrate a creative approach to the composition whilst adhering to the compositional conventions relevant to your chosen style.
- Demonstrate a balance of cohesion, unity and variety.
- Please label all drafts with a number and date so that your drafts can be clearly identified. If your draft is in MuseScore, please save your composition with the date and number, eg. Wendy Smith Composition Draft 1 – 18 April and so on.
Assessment Criterion: COMPOSING
You will be assessed according to the following standards.