Research the response of an international actor to public health needs arising from a complex emergency in a specific country or region, and write a report assessing that response. You may choose any complex emergency and any international actor listed below,
Complex emergency (Choose one only):
· Hurricane Katrina, 2005
· Indian Ocean tsunami, 2004
· Sichuan earthquake, 2008 – (Preferred)*
International actor (Choose one only):
· United Nations agency e.g. WHO, UNICEF etc…
· NGO e.g. Australian Red Cross etc…
– One international actor for the complex emergency you have chosen.
– So it will need to be a combination of international actor and complex emergency that you can find enough information on before you start.
– Please review all lecture slides prior writing, especially lecture 3-5
The following points should be covered in the response assessment (Use as sub headings):
· Describe the international actor, affected country or region, the complex emergency and its public health implications
· Assess the level of congruence between the mission and capability of the international actor and the public health issues faced by the country or region. Was their involvement compatible with the overall aims and purpose of the organisation? Did the organisation have sufficient expertise and resources to make a substantial difference to public health in this complex emergency?
· Describe the interventions by the international actor to address public health issues during the complex emergency, and evaluate their effectiveness in meeting the needs of affected communities. How did the international actor make a positive difference? Were there any negative implications or lessons learned?
· Discuss the local, regional and/or global factors that worked for and against the actor in responding to the emergency. These may include geographical, logistical, cultural, political, legislative and financial factors.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
Word count – 1100 words References – As needed, APA 6th edition