The core of any administration curriculum includes basic knowledge in the areas of
budgeting, communication, organizational planning and change, public
relations/marketing, leadership, supervision, and personnel administration &
Human services leadership and administration also often includes basic knowledge
in areas unique to nonprofits, such as organizational management, volunteer
management, program management, fund-raising, legal issues, and governance.
This assignment is designed to provide students an opportunity to create their own
hypothetical Human Services Program. Students will gain the knowledge and
skills applicable to managing leadership and administration responsibilities in
human services organizations.
Students are to create a hypothetical Human Service utilizing the competency
activities completed throughout the course.
Organization of Paper
Section 1: Organizational Description Paper (15pts) Students will be asked to
complete an organizational description that includes:
• Mission, – Vision and Mission
• Overview of programs, -Description of main departments, programs and
• Organizational structure – number of staff, main positions (e.g., 3 directors,
10 supervisors, 20 counselors)
• Management and leadership style,- corporate authority management and
Section 2: Program Analysis— (25pts) Students will create a program analysis
The program analysis should include a SWOT analysis:
• Describe the most significant challenge(s) that the organization may
face in the next five years.
• How would this challenge(s) impact the organization, in terms of
funding, regulation, human resources, services?
• Would strategic planning be implemented ? If so, to what extent
would the organization develop and implement the strategic plan?
• Is there a particular management philosophy to lead positive change?
Section 3: Resource Management (25pts) Financial analysis of the agency
program. Using their program of focus, students will be asked to complete a
The financial analysis will include:
o Discussion of financial health of agency or program (based on
financial ratios), and forecasting of current trends.
o Financial analysis should also include the position of the targeted
program within the overall budget and development planning.
o What funding sources are used?
o What strategies does the agency use to handle funding shortages?
Format and Layout:
• Essays should be 2-3 pages in length, doubled spaced, with 1-inch margins.
Typeface should be no larger than size 12 Times New Roman font.
Use of scholarly sources:
• You will need to reference two (2) scholarly books/articles/reports in your
analysis, in addition to your textbook and any other materials that we have
covered in the course.
Citations and references:
• Lengthy direct quotations are not acceptable. You should paraphrase the
author’s ideas in your own words.
• All sources should be cited parenthetically in the text and included on your
reference page according to APA style guidelines.