The discussion board is aligned with the module objective “Discuss educational and community-based programs in Healthy People 2030.” For this discussion you will review the learning theories discussed in your textbook beginning on page 125. Choose 1 theory that you believe would best fit the target population who are experiencing or at risk for a health problem you identified in module one.
As part of the discussion you will:
· Review learning theories, principles and health education models (p.125), select one theory and apply to your diagnosis.
· Define the learning theory and describe its major components.
· Discuss how you might apply it when addressing one of the health problem for a target population in your community. Narrow your population to a focused group, such as a classroom, church group or another reasonably sized group.
· List 2 – 3 teaching strategies you could use for your aggregate.
For example, if you have chosen childhood obesity as your identified health problem in week one, describe the learning theory that would work best with children ages 8 – 10, and explain why you believe that learning theory would work best with it.
Your initial post must be posted before you can view and respond to colleagues, must contain minimum of two (2) references, in addition to examples from your personal experiences to augment the topic. The goal is to make your post interesting and engaging so others will want to read/respond to it. Synthesize and summarize from your resources in order to avoid the use of direct quotes, which can often be dry and boring. No direct quotes are allowed in the discussion board posts.
Post a thoughtful response to at least two (2) other colleagues’ initial postings. Responses to colleagues should be supportive and helpful (examples of an acceptable comment are: “This is interesting – in my practice, we treated or resolved (diagnosis or issue) with (x, y, z meds, theory, management principle) and according to the literature…” and add supportive reference. Avoid comments such as “I agree” or “good comment.”
· Initial Post: Fri, Sep 10 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US.
· Response Post: Sun, Sep 12 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US – (the response posts cannot be done on the same day as the initial post).
· Initial Post: Minimum of two (2) total references: one (1) from required course materials and one (1) from peer-reviewed references.
· Response posts: Minimum of one (1) total reference: one (1) from peer-reviewed or course materials reference per response.
· Initial Post: Minimum 200 words excluding references (approximately one (1) page)
· Response posts: Minimum 100 words excluding references.