Health Education and Advocacy
This paper is meant to assist you with aligning a chosen health issue. Choose an issue that we
have addressed throughout your readings or in the course work or perhaps an issue that has
been important in your personal life. This paper should be focused on advocating for a health
policy that you have become aware of through this course or from personal experience.
Research the health policy and expand on it to include the following:
1. Describe the health policy in detail and why you have chosen it.
2. Who would you need to include to assist in implementing this policy (include potential
partners, agencies, legislators, and any resources that you would need to produce a
long-term impact through this policy? Include how this would be done, what methods
do you feel would best suit your project
3. What would you need to do to reach the maximum number of individuals who would be
impacted by this policy?
4. What is the message to deliver to assure that individuals would take advantage of this
5. What methods would be the best to utilize to deliver this message
You will need to integrate the main themes of the readings and explain how this has affected
your thinking and practice. The paper should be no more that 5 pages, double spaced, not
inclusive of the cover sheet and reference page. You must have at least 3 current references.
1) Consider if and how what you have read and learned changes your thinking and might
affect your practice in both personal and professional situations.
2) Review the readings and class notes to be sure you’ve included all the relevant information
you can and made all the connections that stand out to you.
3) Papers must have a title page, opening paragraph, main body, and conclusion as well as
4) Include in-text references and a reference page for any materials you cite using APA citation
75-90 points Papers in this point range:
Make clear references about how the subject matter relates to
contemporary issues in the world or in students own life.
Spend little space describing readings but focuses on analysis.
Clearly identify subject matter to real world issues
65 – 74 points Papers in this point range:
Provide equal description and analysis of readings, rather than
focusing on analysis.
May not relate subject matter to real world issues or self.
Does not or minimally related readings to larger class concepts.
60 – 64 points Papers in this point range:
Focus primarily on describing readings rather than concepts and
have little to no analysis.
Relates readings back to real life, but only superficially.
Does not (or cursorily) relate readings to larger class concepts.
Below 60 points Papers in this point range:
Only address one reading and do so in a superficial matter.
Makes clear that little thought or effort were places in the writing
of the paper.