Balanced Cooking Applications
Review this recipe, then list below four ways you could make this recipe healthier and still maintain flavor.
1 pound ground beef
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1½ cups small-curd cottage cheese
1½ cups ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, and garlic; remove from heat. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cheeses, salt, and pepper. Layer three noodles in a greased 13-in. 9-in. 2-in. baking dish. Top with half the cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and half the meat sauce. Repeat layers.
2. Cover and bake 375ºF for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Ways to make this lasagna recipe healthier and flavorful:
Using any of the techniques described in this chapter, change each of the following recipes in at least three ways to result in a recipe with:
• More fiber, monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats
• Less total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, sugar, or sodium
If possible, prepare the standard and modified versions to determine if the products are equivalent in taste.
Cheesy Beef Casserole
8 ounces elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons fat
1 pound ground chuck
½ small onion, finely chopped
10-ounce can cheddar cheese soup
10 fluid ounces milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 slices breads, made into crumbs
1. Boil elbows for 8 minutes. Drain.
2. Brown beef and onion, drain off fat.
3. Add soup and then milk slowly to meat mixture. Add salt and pepper. Stir in macaroni.
4. Put meat mixture into 2-quart casserole. Cover with bread crumbs.
5. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes until bubbly.
Revised Cheesy Beef Casserole
2 cups shredded raw carrots
¼ cup seedless raisins
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Combine all ingredients and chill.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
2¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cup (12 oz.) semi-sweet chips
2 large eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 cups chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
3. Beat butter and sugar in large mixing bowl at medium speed until creamy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
5. At low speed, beat in flour mixture until well blended.
6. With a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
7. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
8. Bake 13 to 14 minutes until golden brown.
9. Let cookies rest 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
Revised Carrot-Raisin Salad
Revised Chocolate Chip Cookies
½ cup oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon sugar
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Revised French Dressing
Give one balanced substitution for each ingredient listed below.
IN PLACE OF: USE:
1. Whole milk
2. 1 cup sour cream
3. Cream cheese
4. Cheddar cheese
5. Ice cream
7. 1 cup white flour (baking)
8. 1 cup oil in quick breads
9. 1 cup chopped nuts
10. 1 cup heavy cream (baking)