What factors contribute to racial discrimination in the application of the American death penalty, and how could these factors be overcome?
Keep referencing throughout, I need to justify what has been written
Plan: This may help with the structure of the essay
– Brief historical explanation of the divide in America between Black and White Americans and distribution of capital punishment
– Discuss how it’s improved but there is still racial divide – Why is there still a racial divide?
– Crime statistics, who’s committing more crime? B vs. W
– Why is this? Does it relate to poverty? Does it relate to geographical location?
– Is there a geographical divide between Black and White Americans? Where are highest and lowest crime rates for black people and why are they highest & lowest
ADD ANYTHING ELSE YOU THINK WILL BE BENEFICIAL
– Then start briefly explaining how this may all apply sentencing of punishments against black people and then the death penalty! Why do they punish black people?
– Discretion and discrimination- possible to explain the terms briefly and how they relate to racial discrimination
– Introduce the major details that the paper is going to discuss about
– Highlight how there are Historical, political, societal reasons for the racial bias of distribution of the death penalty that will be mentioned??
Please mention how you will use sociological concepts and theories concerning racial discrimination and the death penalty
– Focus on factors that contribute to racial discrimination and distribution of death penalty- be critical throughout essay
– The ethical, legal and moral concerns implicated by racial discrimination and the death penalty. E.g. it is a moral & ethical problem for the death penalty if it is applied in a way that discriminates along the lines of race. Legal-The position of the court concerning the issue and the general idea death penalty as a punishment – keep brief
Please mention racial discrimination of Hispanics too!!
– How to explain these factors::
– Factor 1 – Explain, use evidence to back up, then how is this applied to the racial discrimination of the death penalty- be critical where necessary
– Factor 2 – Explain, use evidence to back up, then how is this applied to the racial discrimination of the death penalty- be critical where necessary
– Factor 3 – Explain, use evidence to back up, then how is this applied to the racial discrimination of the death penalty- be critical where necessary
Etc… depending on how much you go into the factors there could be at least 4 main factors.
– Theories of racial discrimination & death penalty- how do these contribute to the understanding of the application of the death penalty to black americans
– Social exclusion ?
Example of factors:
– Racially biased justice system judges, jury, lawyers, prosecutors (as a collective) Challenges about judicial discretion in death penalty cases
– Institutional racism- how does this apply to death penalty
– Racial discrimination in Economy- how does this apply to the death penalty
– Class & racial discrimination- how does this apply to death penalty
– Historical, political & social implications for racial discrimination & the death penalty
-Does anything in the introduction contribute to racial discrimination in the application of the death penalty
– Include discussion of evidence of discrimination e.g. Baldus studies, Beckett and Evans, Furman vs Georgia, and also Gregg v Georgia that was supposed to resolve these issues of racial discrimination & death penalty but didn’t
– Evidence of Discrimination AFTER the Furman case
– George Stinney!! – 14-year-old boy convicted for 2 murders he didn’t commit- got the electric chair
– Please keep referring back to the question
2nd Main Body – how could these factors be overcome? Keep being critical throughout essay!
– Use the factors described above and explain for each one how they could be overcome with references
– Has anything been done to currently to eradicate this racial discrimination in application of death penalty but also criminal sentences in general? Back up with evidence
– Eradicate death penalty to stop racial discrimination- Is it any better if they just get sent to prison instead?
– Where is there still evidence of discrimination?
– Where is the death penalty still applied? is there evidence of discrimination there?
– Please please please critically evaluate perspectives or literature throughout the essay