Executive Presentation for Decision Support System (DSS)
For this assignment you are asked to take the role of the nursing information technology consultant for a healthcare organization. Focusing on a Decision Support System (DSS) you are familiar with or one you have used, you will describe the DSS, identify the type of agency the DSS is best suited for, and the type of data collected.
You are the nursing information technology consultant for a healthcare organization. The organization wants to learn more about a computerized decision support system (DSS), either for purchase or for strategizing about how they can use their existing DSS application more efficiently and effectively. The DSS you select for this project may be one you are familiar with and have used, or one from a vendor site that provides advanced nursing practice decision support in a healthcare managerial, administrative, research, or clinical area. You may need to go to a nursing or patient care list of DSSs on the Web to find a DSS for your project.
This paper must include an abstract, title page and reference list, as well as a minimum of 10 pages covering the information outlined below:
- Decision support system (DSS) Description(25 points)
- Describe the problem (the difference between a perceived condition and a desired condition) the computerized DSS is being considered or currently used to solve in the healthcaresetting of your choice. Include background information and rationale as to why this DSS was selected to solve the problem.
- Describe the functional components and structures of the DSS – Include:
- vendor name and location on the Web
- systems architecture/configuration and how it works
- whether the DSS is PC, client server, or mainframe based
- Discuss how the DSS supports advanced nursing practice decision making by specifying the objectives and key decisions to be supported by the DSS
- Agency Utilization of DSS (25 points)
- Identify the type of healthcareagency the DSS is currently being used as well as other types of agencies where this system can be utilized.
- Identify the key decision makers in the agency, the positions held in the organization, and scope of their authority to make decisions regarding the DSS. What role did these people have in the identification of the problem?
- Discuss any problems encountered at the agency with regards to:
- communication issues that have arisen between the systems security and privacy issues related to the selected DSS
- Describe the problem and include strategies to address these problems that the organization has in place; include what else could be done.
- DSS Product Use (25 points)
- Identify the type of data and data sources used for the computerized DSS
- Discuss the information requirements for decision making concerning the selected problem. Identify potential sources for this information.
Include the following categories in that discussion: – Capture
- Describe how this system communicates with other systems within the institution
- Scholarly Writing (25 points)
- The presentation and style of the paper are consistent with scholarly work and reflect use of APA format (6th ed.)