The paper should be a total of 5-7 pages APA formatted. In your paper, you must provide a brief answer for each of the questions below.
• Identify and describe an ethical dilemma in a healthcare setting that you feel strongly about. Remember that you will need to attach a newspaper link, clipping, or another source which illustrates this ethical dilemma.
• What would your desired outcome be for the ethical dilemma you’ve selected?
• Identify and describe how two (2) ethical principles apply to the ethical dilemma.
• Identify and describe how one (1) ethical theory applies to the ethical dilemma.
• Define and apply either the PYTHON principle or Doherty & Purtilo’s 6 step process for ethical decision-making to the ethical dilemma.
• Identify and apply at least one policy, either federal, state, or municipal, to the ethical dilemma.
• After applying the ethical decision-making framework, would you still recommend the original outcome? Why or why not?
This is my outline to the paper, please follow it:
This is the link of my chosen article that I have chosen:
Ethics and Healthcare Professions
Outline: Electronic Health Records/Ethical Dilemma
a. Briefly describe the ethical dilemma:
This is a case study retrieved from the following link: https://www.norcal-group.com/library/patient-confidentiality-understanding-the-medical-ethics-issues. It is about a medical assistant who went reveal information about a patient’s complaint and testing to her friends who also knew the patient. The patient then found out the source of her information disclosure: a complete ethical dilemma going on. That her medical information had been disclosed.
b. Desired outcome for this ethical dilemma:
Considering the stakeholders in the dilemma (the patient and her lawyer, the medical assistant, and the facility) each of them will be fairly treated, with: the patient being alerted of the breach of privacy (she is entitled to it), the staff involved facing proper disciplinary actions based on the facility’s ethical code of conducts, and training being provided to all staff in order to prevent such dilemma in the future.
A. Describe an ethical principle that applies to the ethical dilemma:
1. Maleficence: “an obligation not to inflict harm on others” (
2. Autonomy: “obliges us to respect the decisions (self-determination) of adults who have decision-making capacity”
B. Describe how one (1) ethical theory applies to the ethical dilemma.
1. Deontology: “The individual’s rights are most important, and it is wrong to violate individual’s right for the sake of a possible better situation for more people” (Stanford & Connor, pg.11).
C. Describe how you would make an ethical decision for the ethical dilemma using either the PYTHON principle:
1. Protect Yourself (Preserving patient’s privacy to protect myself against the legally consequences of my action)
2. Think Honestly: (Using empathy before even thinking about violating the patient’s privacy)
3. Observe Naturally (Trying to do to be able to defend self in case the need arises)
D. Choosing the following policy applied to this dilemma:
1. HIPPA: “federal law that required the creation of national standards to protect sensitive patient health information from being disclosed without the patient’s consent or knowledge” (CDC, 2018).
III. Conclusion: Decide whether I still recommend the original outcome:
I would. Just for the particular reason that is the best decision to take not only to resolve this particular incident but to prevent others from occurring; also, for all parties involved to be satisfied.