Currently, our society is experiencing two critical issues:
1) The COVID-19 worldwide pandemic
2) America’s active movement for systemic change and racial equality (i.e., the protests and demonstrations sparked by police killings of George Floyd and other Black/African-Americans)
These current events have a profound effect on human development and on the work of counselors.
There are multiple opportunities for extra credit points within this optional discussion board, so please read carefully:
1) Discuss the COVID-19 pandemic for 1 point
2) Discuss the movement for racial equality for 1 point.
3) Please weave these two topics into a third discussion point for a total of 3 points.
2) When discussing these issues, be sure to use headings to differentiate between them (if you choose to pursue two points) as well as a heading indicating your intentions to integrate these issues (if you choose to pursue two points).
3) In your discussion board post, complete the following steps to obtain your extra point(s):
• Describe the issue using at least one scholarly source–be sure to provide the reference at the end of your post.
• Select a minimum of two stages within the lifespan and how they might experience this issue both similarly and differently based on their current life stage. Be sure to identify both similarities and differences.
• Discuss how counselors are needed in serving those affected by these issues.
• Discuss how counselors themselves might be affected by these issues and methods of self-care to directly manage their experiences of these events.
4) If you choose to integrate the two topics, complete the following steps to obtain your extra point:
• Discuss at least two ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic and the movement for racial equality are related and/or might interact with one another.
• Provide a resource for additional education on both of these topics (it can be a resource that ties together both issues already or it may be two separate resources).