Discussion: Research and EBP
Discussion: Research and EBP
· This discussion will really help you dive into the course and develop some key skills while providing an overview of concepts that you will apply throughout the remainder of the assignments.
· First, you will determine the difference among research, evidence based practice (EBP) and quality improvement. Then you will integrate how you use these 3 concepts in practice as an advanced practice nurse (APN).
· Next and perhaps one of the biggest foundation level skills needed in this course is actually performing a successful library search of terms. So in this discussion you will evaluate and compare the difference in results when searching through 2 different databases. After determining how the various databases work and see how one may produce better results for certain topics than the other selected database, you can think about how you would apply that info. in an EBP model.
· There are a lot of EBP models that a person or facility may choose to use. Reviewing these models will allow you to identify where you are in the process of a research problem and what steps are next. You will be using various stages of these models in this course to discover and appraise evidence to support a phenomenon of interest. If you don’t use each of the steps of the research process, you may find that your ability to change practice or use the best EBP in practice fails or may not yield the results intended.
As you get started be sure to keep the following in mind:
1. Write your posts in a Microsoft Word document and save it to 2 different sources. Information is often lost and computers crash, so don’t get caught without a copy of your own work. You will also need to submit your discussion to turnitin, so you will need a word document to do so (see #5). You are not allowed to do a recording for this discussion.
2. Copy and paste your initial post directly into the discussion area.
3. Use the edit tools within the discussion to help you with centering titles, headings, etc. However, faculty are aware that hanging indents do not always copy/paste correctly. We will take that into consideration, but all other APA formatting, grammar, syntax, etc. should be strictly adhered to.
4. No title page is needed. Attachments should not be included. Submit your initial post to Turnitin only.
5. Submit your paper to turnitin and review the report. Make any necessary changes to the initial post and resubmit (as needed) to turnitin by the due date. Re-submission to turnitin is not required, but encouraged if your report shows high similarity. You will NOT submit the report anywhere; faculty will review your reports directly in the Turnitin system.
6. Post your cross posts by the due dates. You are encouraged to post to a student who does not have any other posts. You are required to respond to at least 1 peer’s initial post. You do not have to submit your Cross Post to Turnitin.
7. See Rubric as an attachment: Topic Discussion Research and EBP pdf
8. First person is permitted for your discussions only.
Initial posts should be no more than 750 words; cross posts should be no longer than 250 words.
Click on the attachment labeled Topic Discussion Research and EBP for a copy of the Rubric.
Points may be adjusted higher or lower than specific allocated points for each criteria. For example, you may receive 1.25 points instead of 1.0 or 1.5 points as indicated in the column depending on the criteria that was met or unmet. This may apply to any of the criterion and will be based on faculty discretion.