To prepare for this discussion, read the assigned textbook chapters and article, The Six Essential Leadership Attributes. Complete the “Leader’s Self-Insight 11.1. Values Balancing” activity in the textbook. Reflect on what the results suggest about you as a leader. You are not required to share your specific results when discussing this activity, but are welcome to, if you are comfortable doing so.
To successfully complete this discussion, your post should minimally include the following:
· Briefly summarize the concepts of Personal Initiative and Capacity for Collaboration and discuss the relevance of understanding these two styles in the workplace.
· Evaluate why it is important for leaders to know their strengths and opportunities for improvement.
· Compare and contrast characteristics of old-paradigm leaders with new-paradigm leaders as discussed in the text and explain why old-paradigm leadership practices are increasingly ineffective.
· Explain potential costs, benefits, and any risks associated with Diversity Avoidance and Diversity Promotion as they relate to leadership positions in your chosen career or a profession you either have experience with or might consider for a career.
· Using yourself, or a leader whose work you are familiar with as an example, apply The Six Essential Leadership Attributes (Links to an external site.) from the assigned article and comment on your/their strengths and growth opportunities based on the author’s description of these attributes.
· Identify at least one other model of leadership strengths, characteristics, or traits and apply that model to your chosen leader.
· Support ideas you share in your post with a minimum of three credible scholarly and peer-reviewed sources (Links to an external site.) published within the last ten years and document your sources by including APA-formatted citations (Links to an external site.) and references (Links to an external site.) .
Post your initial response of 500 words or more by Day 3 (Thursday). Respond to at least two of your peers by Day 7 (Monday). Replies to your classmates’ initial postings should be a minimum of 250 words each.
Daft, R.L. (2018). The leadership experience (7th ed.). https://content.ashford.edu/
· Chapter 1: What Does it Mean to Be a Leader?
· Chapter 2: Traits, Behaviors, and Relationships
· Chapter 3: Contingency Approaches to Leadership
Di Frances, J. The Six Essential Leadership Attributes (Links to an external site.) . http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Six-Essential-Leadership-Attributes&id=29808.
Gehrka, J. Six Steps For Ethical Leadership in Today’s Organizations (Links to an external site.) . http://ezinearticles.com/?6-Steps-For-Ethical-Leadership-in-Todays-Organizations&id=934392.
Ethical Leadership: Why Should We Care About Value Leadership? (Links to an external site.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueI-_ZeuJ7s.
· This video evaluates the elements of value in personal leadership by assessing the various filters of the value system as it relates to ethical leadership.