The student needs to (approx. 1200 words in total excluding in text citation and reference list):
1- Identify four (4) examples of effective or ineffective teamwork and/or communication in the scenario. This can be presented in a table or as dot points.
2- Using the literature, provide a general discussion on how teamwork and communication affects:
o patient (approx. 350-400 words with 3 references to support).
o staff (approx. 350-400 words with 3 references to support).
o organisation (approx. 350-400 words with 3 references to support).
- (Not following ISBARE tool) When Katie called Monica she did not use the ISBARE tool to give her handover about her patient. She did not give Monica full information about the patient observations so she gave her the systolic blood pressure reading but did not mention the diastolic reading. Katie also did not give information about the respiration rate, she just said the saturation and respiration rate are 99.
- (Incomplete handover) When the met team arrived, Monica did not introduce herself until the registrar asked her to. She also did not give full information about the patient surgery or about observation or the previous readings, she was just pointing to the observation chart. Also when she mentioned the the patient was reviewed, she did not give information about the out come of that review.
- (Unclear communication) When Kelli asked if the patient received pain medication, Katie respond was not clear and she did not give clear answer about the dose of the medication that the patient received or the time.
- (Absence of close loop communication) When Kelli asked for fluid, she did not specify the dose and she did not give the rational behind the order. Also when she asked for antibiotic she did not specify the type or the dose and when she asked Monica to prepare it, due to the noise in the room, Monica did not confirm that she heard the order or not.
- Effective teamwork and communication discussion – the impact for the patient (350-400 words- 3 references):
- Effective teamwork and communication discussion – the impact for the staff (350-400 words- 3 references):
- Effective teamwork and communication discussion – the impact for the organisation (350-400 words- 3 references):
Starting references are provided below to assist you with beginning your student report. Please note, however, that you are expected to find and include additional references in your report.
Aitkin, L., & Eagar, S. (2013). Collegial relationship breakdown: A qualitative exploration of nurses in acute care settings. Collegian, 20(2), 115-121. doi: 10.1016/j.colegn.2012.04.008
Al Sayah, F., Szafran, O., Robertson, S., Bell, N., & Williams, B., (2014). Nursing perspectives on factors influencing interdisciplinary teamwork in the Canadian primary health care setting. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 3(19-20), 2968-2979. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12547
Gausvik, C., Lautar, A., Miller, L., Pallerla, H., & Schlaudecker, J. (2015). Structured nursing communication on interdisciplinary acute care teams improves perceptions of safety, efficiency, understanding of care plan and teamwork as well as job satisfaction. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare, 8, 33-37. doi: 10.2147/JMDH.S72623
Foronda, C., MacWilliams, B., & McArthur, E. (2016). Interprofessional communication in healthcare: an integrative review. Nurse Education in Practice, 19, 36-40. doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2016.04.005
Manias, E., Geddes, F., Watson, B., Jones, D., & Della, P. (2015). Perspectives of clinical handover processes: a multi-site survey across different health professionals. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25, 80-91. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12986
Mitchell, R., Parker, V., Giles, M., & Boyle, B. (2013). The ABC of health care team dynamics: understanding complex affective, behavioral, and cognitive dynamics in interprofessional teams. Health Care Management Review, 39(1), 1-9. doi: 10.1097/HCM.0b013e3182766504
Polis, S., Higgs, M., Manning, V., Netto., & Fernandez, R. (2015) Factors contributing to nursing team work in an acute care tertiary hospital, Collegian. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2015.09.002