Contemporary Issue in Nursing
The purpose of this assessment is for you to explore one of the many complex issues which are likely to impact your nursing environment or career.
Length: 3000 words excluding the in text citation and the reference list.
· Leave a 4 cm margin on the left side of the page with double line spacing. Use Time New Roman font.
· Pages should be numbered You may use subheadings to develop your paper and ensure you address each question.
· This is an objective report, so avoid using the first person ‘I’. Also avoid ‘we’ and ‘you’. The tone and writing style still needs to be academic.
· All reference must be in according to APA6, primary sources, academic with DOI and accessible. Use Australian sources only.
General Details of task: You are required to choose one (1) contemporary issue in nursing on which to focus. The topic I chose is (Burnout in the nursing workforce). However, you need to link it to specific area of nursing (for example, Emergency Department Nurses , Cardiac Catheterization Lab Nurses, Operating Theatre nurses .. etc.)
You then need to prepare a report to the head of an organisation, e.g. a hospital, local government or relevant non-governmental organisation (NGO), with recommendations about how best to address the issue.
You will need to:
1. Clearly outline the issue.
2. Identify key factors or influences as well as impacts of the issue (on patients, nurses, hospitals and/or the community)
3. Discuss one existing approach in Australia dealing with the issue,
4. Suggest two (2) improvements to the existing approach that you used.
Claims and suggestions in your essay should be supported by relevant evidence from the peer-reviewed academic literature (at least 20 sources). You may also, where relevant, refer to other sources such as government and NGO reports.
Think of your report as a proposal for your ‘new, improved’ program to address a particular health issue. (You don’t need to refer to this in your report, but should keep this idea in mind). Those reviewing your report would be unlikely to approve your proposal if you bore them with irrelevant information. Keep the report focussed on the specific issue and only include information that needs to be there.
Detailed instruction of the report:
Your report should include sections identified by headings and subheadings, including:
· Meaningful title Unique title for paper is developed – this should engage the reader and convey what the report will be about ( do not use the same name of the topic I chose make a unique one)
· Introduction to the report (Provides brief introduction to the issue and its context. Brief outline of what will be discussed) : Make clear in your introduction who the report is aimed at (hospital / government / NGO/ nursing organisation) who is the target audience.
· Description of the issue Identifies the problem, the extent of the issue and the relevant stakeholders (for example – what is the problem, why is it a problem, how big is the problem, who does it affect?)
· Key factors/influences which are the causation of the issue (this can be presented in table format, and must include references. Aim to present 3 factors).
1. Brief description of each factor/influence
2. Explanation of the consequences/impacts of each factor/influence on the stakeholders( patients, health professionals, families etc)
· ONE Approach or ONE solution or ONE appropriate program to improve the issue (this can be a policy – at either hospital/organisation/government level; a process – e.g. a checklist; or a specific program such as an awareness campaign or training course). We do not need you to reinvent this section. The focus is to find an approach or solution or program which recognises the contemporary issue and remember providing other literature which support your approach/solution is good idea as it will show the effectiveness of the approach/solution.
1. Detailed description of the approach/solution/program (include appropriate citations) and how this approach/solution/program manage to tackle the key factors/influences that you have identified above.
2. Summary of strengths and weaknesses of the approach/solution/program
· Recommendations – Two strategies to improve the approach/solution/program identified above (Make recommendations relevant to the audience you aimed at in the introduction) and remember to provide literature to support what you think will be an effective strategies and you should include:
1. Brief description of each recommendation
2. Identify how each recommendation will strengthen the program/approach
3. Identify if there are any limitations to your suggestion (and discuss how you could improve/fix the limitation)
4. Use evidence to demonstrate why your recommendation will be effective (e.g. look at similar programs for different issues, or different programs for this issue and identify why they work)
· Conclusion (Brief summary/reminder of the issue, key factors, and your solution to the problem, as well as why it is important to fix it, Take home messages).
· Reference list (you should aim to integrate appropriate information or ideas from at least 20 peer-reviewed journal articles into your paper. Additional references to NGO and Government websites may also be include
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;