Station 1 (1 point)
A child has been diagnosed with otitis media and the mother needs teaching on medication administration.
Order: Amoxicillin oral suspension 90 mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses for 10 days
Child’s weight is 15 kg.
1. What is the amount for a single dose for this client in mg? ___________
2. How many mL will be given for each divided dosage? ______________
3. What is the best measurement device for this medication? ___________________
4. What instructions should be given to the parent regarding this medication?
Station 2 (1 point)
The health care provider order 750,000 units of penicillin G IM stat for a teenager who has pneumonia.
1. What is the correct reconstitution concentration for an IM injection?________________
2. What is the volume of diluent that should be added to the vial? ___________
3. What is the volume of medication that should be given to the teen?____________
4. Select the correct syringe and fill in to the correct dosage.
Station 3 (1 point)
A client is admitted to the hospital for cellulitis in the lower leg. The health care provider has ordered ceftazidime 2 grams in 50 ml IV piggyback every 8 hours and a maintenance IV of D5.45NC with 20mEq KCl 75 mL/hr.
1. What assessments should be completed prior to starting this medication?
2. What is the appropriate length of time for administering this IV medication?
3. What is the correct rate drip rate using a gravity drip system?
4. What assessments should be completed when the antibiotic is completed?
Station 4 (1 point)
A child has an order for gentamicin 1.5 mg per kg every 8 hours IM. The child weighs 18 lbs.
1. How many kilograms does the child weigh?
2. How many milligrams per dose will the child receive?
3. How many milliliters per dose will the child receive?
4. What is an appropriate IM site for this child? Explain your answer.
Station 5 (1 point)
A health care provider has ordered vancomycin 1000mg IV over 2 hours every 18 hours. This is the client’s second dose.
1. What assessment or actions that should be completed prior at administration?
2. What is the correct rate at which the electronic pump should be set at?
3. What assessments should be completed during administration?
4. When should the trough level be drawn for this medication?