Class Exercise 3/Worksheet 3
11) State one of the two major hypotheses the epidemiological study was testing.
12) How many study subjects were recruited for the study?
13) Do you see any differences between the high and low exposure groups participating in the study? Use age and BMI to explore the data from the SPSS file.
14) Do you see any differences in neurobehavioral functions between the high and low exposure groups participating in the study? Use data for any two tests from the SPSS file.
15) When our sample of 50 adolescent children were followed-up after 3 years of the initial data collection to collect new data regarding intellectual disability the study became:
a. A case-control study
b. An experimental study
c. A cohort study
16) Is there an association between child abuse and suicide attempts among chemically dependent (e.g. drugs or alcohol) adolescents using the data presented in the following 2×2 table? Interpret the RR.
RR= (A/(A+B)) / (C/(C+D))
17) Using your own SPSS dataset calculate if there is an association between arsenic exposure in childhood and post-adolescence intellectual disability among the study participants.
a. Calculate RR
b. Interpret your findings.
18) What are the potential confounding variables that can affect the association between arsenic exposure in childhood and post-adolescence intellectual disability? Mention any two and justify.
19) Have you understood the crossover study design (see the lecture slides on experimental studies)?
20) In a sentence state why, the researchers followed a crossover design.