CODE ONE INTERVIEW ONLY.
The children were from three different age groups:
• 3 – 5 year olds, 8 – 10 year olds, and 13 – 15 year olds
Students should code answers into three different categories:
• R – Reward Cost – This is a friendship based on geographic closeness and physical characteristics. This
includes statements such as: we play at school, he is nice.
• N – Normative – This goes a step further and introduces a sharing/reciprocal relationship. This includes
statements such as: he helps me with math, we play games together, or I like to hang out with them,
• E – Empathetic – This goes even a step further and introduces emotions. This includes statements such
as: you can tell them everything, they support you.
Some specific coding notes:
• Some responses do not fit in any category. These get coded as NC for NO CODING.
• Some responses contain more than one thought. Code each thought or statement individually.
• Some statements can be coded as two different categories, such as “We always play together on the
playground” – showing the geographic component (R) of playground and the sharing component of
together (N). This statement can be coded as both R and N.