opic: about ‘Gutai Art movement’ (need more specific research topic)
the assignment involves an annotated bibliography with:
– 8 sources: at least two of these should be scholarly articles published in a journal or art
magazine (online magazines are acceptable), and at least two others should be primary
sources. The rest of your sources can be short articles from newspapers or general
magazines, interviews, documentaries, etc.
– a 500-800-word descriiption of your project.
– 3-6 Key images with an explanatory caption (artwork & artist name only no image needed)
– 1-3 links to video material (a performance, an interview, a video of an installation) with a
properly written explanatory caption. (Just video links)
– summarize the descriiption of your topic (paraphrase the introduction), parse your bibliography, short process of the research (scriipt for short presentation
2-3 min talk)
*keep in mind (message from the professor):
1. A research guide is NOT a research paper. Think of the research guide as the preliminary work that happens BEFORE you write a paper. You will need a
descriiption of your topic (the latter can be more general or more specific) but that descriiption does not involve analysis or argumentation. See guidelines on
2. If you are working with a very well-known topic, please Zoom in on an aspect of the work–otherwise, the literature on your topic will be hard to handle. On
the contrary, if you are doing a topic that is little known, a broad take will help you find resources. If you are doing a historical figure that was mainly active
PRE-1960s please make sure your research concerns that figure’s impact on the work (art, design, architecture) of the LONG SIXTIES (late fifties through the
3. Do not include mostly books, mostly websites, mostly videos, etc, in your bibliography. Strike a balance between articles, books, etc. I don’t expect you to
read 3 books on your topic but at least the intro for each book that you cite. Please see the guidelines concerning the bibliography.
4. Re-read carefully your captions and annotated bibliography BEFORE submitting your assignment.