Wk 5, Discussion 1
Research question for final project: Are black Americans at higher risk of obesity than whites due to poor nutrition?
Review all of the learning resources for this discussion. Then, locate a journal article (not a website) from the UMGC Library databases that identifies a theory in the social sciences. You may be able to find a theory in one of your articles that you have been reviewing for your final project.
1. In your own words, explain why is theory important in research.
2. What is the name of the theory mentioned in your article?
3. From what discipline does it draw? (e.g. anthropology, sociology, gerontology, social psychology)
4. Is this a grand, mid-range, or macro level theory? Explain your response.
5. What are the main tenets of your theory as described in your article?
6. Does the research support or refute the theory you’ve selected? Explain your response.
Post a .pdf or URL link so that the class can see the article you are referencing.
What is Public Policy? – civiced.org
Social Policy | Encyclopedia.com
Understanding Evidence-Based Public Health Policy – PMC (nih.gov)
Types of Research Used for Evidence Based Practice – YouTube
16.4 Policymakers – American Government 3e | OpenStax