APNs as Healthcare Policy Leaders
The purpose of this assignment is to discuss healthcare policy of the APN profession and how Transformational Leadership can help to influence policy changes. This week’s assignment focuses on the APN as a Health Policy Leader, one of the nine NONPF NP competencies. Students will analyze how health policy may affect NP practice and how Transformational Leadership can help to influence policy changes.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
1. Critically analyze how healthcare systems and APRN practice are organized and influenced by ethical, legal, economic, and political factors (CO2)
2. Demonstrate professional and personal growth concerning the advocacy role of the advanced practice nursing in fostering policy within diverse healthcare settings (CO3)
3. Advocate for institutional, local, national, and international policies that fosters person-centered healthcare and nursing practice (CO4)
Due Date: Wednesday of week 7 by 11:59PM MST
Initial responses to the discussion topic must be posted by Wednesday 11:59pm MT. Two additional posts to peers and/or faculty are due by Sunday at 11:59pm MT. Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due.
A 10% late penalty will be imposed for discussions posted after the deadline on Wednesday of week 7, regardless of the number of days late. NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0).
Total Points Possible: 100
Criteria for Content
· Explanation of how healthcare policy can impact the advanced practice nurse profession
· Explanation of why advocacy is considered an essential component of the advance practice nurse’s role
· Discuss the four pillars of Transformational leadership and the effect it may have on influencing policy change
· A scholarly resource must be used for EACH discussion question each week.
Explanation of how healthcare policy can impact the advanced practice nurse profession
Research healthcare policy for APNs on a state and national level and the impact on the APN profession
Explanation of why advocacy is considered an essential component of the advance practice nurse’s role
Describe advocacy in healthcare terminology.
Discuss how advocacy is an essential role of the APN and the impact on patient care.
Discuss the four pillars of Transformational leadership and the effect it may have on influencing policy change
Define Transformational leadership.
Discuss how Transformational Leadership may have an effect on influencing policy change
Total CONTENT Points= 75 pts
4 Required Elements:
· Responds a minimum of two other posts to peers and/or faculty in the threaded discussion.
· Responses to peer/faculty are substantive (adds importance, depth, and meaningfulness to the discussion)
· Responds to all direct questions from faculty (if no question asked directly, student responded to questions posed to the entire class)
· Summarizes what was learned from the lesson, readings, and other student posts for the week. The summary could be included in one of the three minimum posts.
Grammar, Syntax, Spelling, & Punctuation
Grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation are accurate.
Total FORMAT Points= 25 pts
DISCUSSION TOTAL=100 points
Search entries or author Filter replies by unread Unread Collapse replies Expand replies
Reply Reply to Week 7: APNs as Healthcare Policy Leaders (Orig Post due Wednesday, Responses due Sunday)
Replies are only visible to those who have posted at least one reply.