Worksheet #6 – Antebellum Violence and the Rise of Urban Policing
1. Monkkonen points to three reasons why large cities in the United States created uniformed police departments. What were they? Give a short explanation of what he means by this. (Hint: He starts his argument on page 50)
2. Why was there such hesitancy to put the police in uniforms? What did uniforms represent?
3. In Monkkonen’s explanation he argues that “Social Control” was a main facet of the early police movement. Explain what he means by this.
4. Why were cities such sites of anxieties for Americans? Think about the time period, what’s happening in the cities at this time?
5. What were some of the causes of riots in the North? Why do we not see riots in the South during this period? (Hint: Think about the main causes of riots in the North.)