As part of our ABET assessment process, each student must address outcomes (2), (4j), and (7) in a report separate from the team’s final report. Each outcome has a series of performance indicators, and these are assessed using rubrics for the outcomes which are provided to the student. Also note that the ABET Issues Paper is used to assess outcome (3w) – written communication.
Students are to use the following format (with italicized comments replaced with the appropriate information):
Project Title, Semester, Your Name, Your Program(s)-like ELEC, CMPE, WREE, etc.
Briefly describe the specific needs and/or customer requirements to be achieved by your design. Then, briefly (a few sentences) describe your team’s design.
(2) Apply Design: demonstrate an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
a. Use knowledge, methods, processes and tools to create a design that meets stated requirements
Insert text here on how your design project considers this performance indicator. Do the same for each performance indicator on outcomes (2), (4j), and (7).
b. Evaluate if a design meets desired needs
c. Consider realistic constraints in the design
d. Consider public health, safety, and welfare in the design
e. Consider global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors in the design
You may wish to begin with a few sentences describing what these factors mean before taking them into consideration.
f. Testing of the final design
(4j) Judgment: demonstrate an ability to make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
a. Make informed judgment
b. judgment considers impact of solution in global context
c. judgment considers impact of solution in economic context
d. judgment considers impact of solution in environmental context
e. judgment considers impact of solution in societal context
(7) Acquire Knowledge: demonstrate an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies. In this section, you should describe how the curriculum prepared you (or did not prepare you) to do the project and describe what you had to learn beyond the curriculum.
a. Recognize the need to find information
b. Acquire and organize outside information
c. Assimilate and apply information
While preparing your report, note that it will also be assessed for (3w) written communication (see the outcome (3w) rubric) for these six performance indicators:
f. use of sources
Suggested Report Requirements
• standard one inch margins (top, bottom, left, right)
• 11 or 12 point font (please choose a quality font such as Times). You may decrease to 10 point font for figure/table captions, and larger fonts for headings as you wish.
• Single spacing or space and a half sentence spacing is preferred.
• Neatly embed appropriately labeled and captioned figures and tables.
• Limit report to 4 pages
• Use proper citations