Students are to complete a 3-5 page exploration paper on any topic related to Psychology. The topic is
your choice. This paper allows students to explore topics of their interest and take a closer look at issues
or concepts that may or may not be covered in class. Students are free to choose their own topic, or
they can pick one of the topics below.
*Possible topics and research questions include but are not limited to:
1. Language acquisition – Does teaching infants sign language help or hinder the language
2. Parenting styles – How do parenting styles impact a child’s level of physical activity? Are
children raised by parents permissive or uninvolved parents less active than those raised by
parents with authoritarian styles?
3. Learning and Cognition – Do students who listen to music while studying perform better or
worse on exams?
4. Bullying – How does bullying impact student achievement? Are bullied students more likely to
have worse grades than their non-bullied peers?
5. Nutrition and Health – Do children who eat breakfast perform better in school than those who
do not eat breakfast?
6. Birth order – Does birth order have an impact on procrastination? Are firstborns less likely to
procrastinate? Are lastborn children more likely to put off tasks until the last minute?
Your paper should be organized with the following paragraph headings: Introduction, Research, Your
Opinion, and References.
A paragraph or two that clearly and concisely describes:
1. Your topic of interest.
2. What question(s) you will investigate or explore?
3. What sparked your interest in the topic?
This is the core of your paper. Identify 3 scholarly articles, literature, and/or sources that provide
background information on your topic.
1. What does the research say about your topic or question?
2. What are the various points of view or differing explanations proposed about your topic?
3. What theoretical framework can be applied to help explain your topic? Were there any
psychological frameworks or theories used in the research? If so, what were they and how did it
explain the topic.
1. What is your opinion on the topic? Do you agree or disagree with the literature? Why do you
hold that opinion?
2. What experiences, if any, have you had that relates to your topic? How did those experiences
shape your opinion on the topic?
A reference page is required. Please list all references, scholarly articles, sources, etc. on a separate
sheet titled “References”. Please cite all sources APA style.
Your paper should be written in APA format specifically using in text citations
Your paper should be typed and double-spaced
1″ margins on all sides
Please use a clear font that is highly readable, typically Times New Roman and 12-point font.