Macroeconomic Industry Analysis
Length: 2500 words.
Select one of the following industries
• Australian Banking Industry;
• Australian Domestic Airline Industry;
• Australian Coal Industry;
• Australian Education Sector: International Education;
• Australian Iron Ore Manufacturing Industry;
• Australian Not-For-Profit Sector;
• Australian Tourism Industry; or
• Another industry of your choice (if you select this option, before commencing this
assignment, discuss your alternative industry choice with the unit facilitator).
You are required to investigate the industry to some depth, using your understanding of
business economics, and to:
a. Estimate the industry’s contribution to Australia’s annual GDP. What proportion
of GDP does this represent? Explain.
b. Describe and analyse the industry’s relationship with Governments.
c. Select three (3) of the following six (6) scenarios. Using macroeconomic
theories, determine and describe what you predict may happen in your selected
i. Australia’s rate of unemployment increases to 10%;
ii. Australia’s inflation rate increases to 6%;
iii. The Australian Government decreases the corporate taxation rate to
iv. The Reserve Bank of Australia increases the cash rate to 5%;
v. The value of the Australian Dollar (AUD) decreases by 10% against other
vi. China reduces imports by 10%;
Provide brief explanations for each of your three predictions
d. Write a conclusion which includes the insights which you have gained from this
GSB013 Economics for Managers: Unit Guide
Assessment Submission Requirements:
1. Your assessment is to be written as a business report.
2. Include a minimum of 3 suitable academic journal articles in your assignment. You
can search the AIM Library database, or use some of the ones provided in the
. You also will need to alsohave to research other online industry related articles to support your research.
3. Your report must be 2,500 words (+/- 10%). Note: the title page, contents page, executive summary, tables, reference list and appendices are not included in the word count.
4. Appendices and tables may be used to clarify and support your arguments but
should not be used to circumvent the word count limit. Use appendices, please use these sparingly