WORKING WITH THE DSM-5
So much of what forensic psychologists do has to do with the diagnosis and treatment of individuals with a variety of mental health
concerns. It is very important that we understand and know how to use the DSM-5.
In this assignment, you have the opportunity to get familiar with the DSM-5 and begin to practice with it. You begin with describing
the three different sections of the DSM-5 and examine how it is meant to be used. From Section 2, you will choose one specific
disorder and list the criteria for the disorder. From Section 3, you will choose a subsection and discuss it.
Include the following in your paper:
● Describe the three sections of the DSM-5. In addition to your description, provide examples from each of the sections.
● Summarize how Section 1 of the DSM-5 states that the manual should be used. Illustrate your points with examples.
● Choose one disorder listed in Section 2 and list its diagnostic criteria. Use examples to help illustrate how the criteria fit with
the overall diagnosis.
○ Be careful to list a disorder and not a category of disorders—for example, “Bipolar I” is a disorder, while “Bipolar and
Related Disorders” is the category of disorders that the specific disorder of Bipolar I belongs to. This is an important
distinction, and your goal is to present the specific disorder.
● Section 3 of the DSM-5 contains five subsections, each of which has a forward-looking perspective.
○ Briefly discuss a subsection of your choice: what does it focus on, and what do you find interesting about it? Explain
some of the ethics of using the DSM-5. What ethical principles, standards, or codes must professionals consider so
that the DSM-5 is properly used and not misused? Cite a professional or scholarly source to support your thinking
about ethics of using the DSM-5.
You may consult any resources you choose for this assignment; however, you must use the DSM-5 and the multimedia
presentation Delving into the DSM-5.
● Written communication: Written communication is in professional style with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
● Resources: Remember to properly cite the DSM-5.
● APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA style and formatting.
○ Refer to Academic Writer for guidance in using proper APA style. See the Evidence and APA section of the Writing
Center for instructions on accessing and using Academic Writer.
● Length: 2–3 double-spaced pages of content, a title page, and a references page.
● Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and
scoring guide criteria:
● Competency 1: Apply psychological principles to topics in forensic psychology.
○ Describe the three sections of the DSM-5.
○ Summarize how Section 1 states that the DSM-5 should be used.
● Competency 2: Apply scholarly research findings to topics in forensic psychology.
○ List the diagnostic criteria for one specific disorder in Section 2 of the DSM-5.
○ Describe a subsection of the DSM-5.
● Competency 3: Apply psychological and legal ethics in the field of forensic psychology.
○ Apply ethics to the use of the DSM-5.
● Competency 4: Communicate professionally with proper mechanics and effective organization.
○ Communicate clearly with appropriate purpose, organization, tone, and sentence structure.