Paper #2: Civic Engagement Paper
Overall Assignment: Interview a Social Services Organization Director or Assistant Director in your community (within 25 miles of where you work or shop for groceries) on the topic of community impact of that particular organization and the organization’s impact on particular segments of the community.
Paper Format Criteria: Name/Course on top right page of paper.
Length: Check your syllabus.
Font/CPI: Times New Roman, 12 characters per inch font size, double spaced
Format: APA,ASA or MLA
Particular organizations that should be considered: United Way, Head Start, NAACP, Hispanic Workers Union, Catholic Charities, First Call for Help, Association for Intellectual and Developmental Challenged Citizens (ARC of the High Plains) or organizations that address particular human services needs within your geographic area.
1. You want to identify a particular social services organization or agency within 20 miles of where you work or shop for groceries.
2. Identify which person in this agency is its director (in particular circumstances an assistant director interview would be appropriate as a substitute if the organization is so large that it would be impractical to take the time of the agency director).
3. Set up an interview time with this person. You will want at least 30 minutes for an interview.
4. You will want to meet at the organization or agency’s actual location.
5. The purpose of this assignment is to learn about the mission of the particular organization, what is its mission or impact goals within the local community are, and what particular segments of the population do they serve.
6. If the agency serves particular segments of our society: Find out which particular population or groups that are served by this organization, why does this particular segment of the population need or require these particular services of this organization, and in what ways are those groups served (what good/services are provided to those particular groups? Does the director/assistant director feel that certain racial or ethnic or cultural groups in particular benefit from the social service organization’s services?
7. In what ways are lives changed through the clients’ interactions with this social service organization? In other words, how does this social service organization positively impact clients’ lives?
8. Then from our course materials (Healey, and the Annual Editions), are there examples from these course readings that add supporting evidence or give additional information about these particular groups that are served by your chosen social service organization?
9. Find two recent articles from national circulation (not your hometown paper, unless you live in a populous, urban area) that have the subject as relating to the segment of the U.S. population served by your chosen social service organization. The articles should add context, history, or relate to the information given to you by your chosen social services organization director or assistant director.
10. When you submit this assignment, then you are to include the official name of the organization, the director’s or assistant director’s name, and the person’s work telephone number at the end of this paper.